zondag 6 juli 2014

Caravãna Sun - Australian gypsy-ska rockers

A few weeks ago I already saw them, playing at one of my favorite festivals. Their music was new for me. The sound made me happy, felt like it made the sun shine even brighter and I could not keep my feet still. I had to dance!

Some days after the festival, there was an opportunity to win one of their cd's through Xookazine. You know what? I was the lucky bastard who has won the cd! As soon as the mailman dropped my little package with the cd through my mailbox, I had to play it. Over and over again... I don't know how often, but I kept repeating it while dancing through my living room and as soon as I knew the lyrics, I sang along.

Thanks to Facebook I noticed that Caravãna Sun would play at the beach near my favorite surf spot. It took about 5 minutes to ask a few friends if they would like to come along, and than the date was settled.

The forecast for that day said that there would be rain and no waves. Not quite a good combination, and actually, it made me a bit grumpy. To make it up for the lack waves, I decided to go for a swim before catching the train. The moment when I started to lift my arms over the water, one of their songs got into my head and accompanied me for the rest of the three kilometers that I swam. Lap after lap the tune kept repeating in my head and even the sun came out! Happy and exited I came out of the water, knowing that I had to make haste now, to catch the train to be in time in Wijk aan Zee.

In Wijk aan Zee, Samantha picked me up with her car, so I could drive along to Timboektoe. From the second I got into that car, we had a blast. There was a lot of catching up to do and we couldn't shut our mouths till the first gig started. Till that moment we relaxed a bit in the sun, took a quick look at the surf shop to expand our quiver and laughed a lot.

Before Caravãna Sun started to play there was a singer/songwriter playing; Kim Churchill. His songs were beautiful and full of passion His voice gave me goose bumps and I really wanted to hear more of his music. Unfortunately the gig was over before we knew it and than we had to wait for the band we actually came for.

The set that Caravãna Sun played was amazing. Timboektoe was filled with energy and nothing but good vibes. It felt a little bit like their gig at the Surfana Festival. After a few songs I noticed that the trumpet player decorated his trumpet, pretty cool!

This band is really worth to travel for. Their music feels like summer with their catchy tunes and moving rhythms. Lyrics with a story, a laugh, relaxed and smooth. Picture yourself at the beach with a lot of amazing people, laughing and dancing around a bonfire. The air is filled with nothing but gypsy-ska tunes. Than you can imagine a bit of the feeling this band passes through! I loved it and can't wait to see them live again.

Caravãna Sun ended their gig with one of my favorite songs, The bottle. Quickly after this song it became quiet at Timboektoe. Samantha and I stayed for a little while and socialized with the people at our table, until it was also our time to go.





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten